Top 5 under development 5th generation fighter jets
The 5th generation fighters that is currently under developments are
1. Project AZM – Pakistan
On 7 July 2017, the Pakistan Air Force announced the development of a fifth-generation fighter jet technology, a stealth medium-altitude long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicle (MALE UAV) and munitions and a smart longer-range surface to air missile systems SAM missile systems under the banner of Project Azm . Pakistani public and private sectors are jointly working on the development of Next-generation stealth fighter aircraft whose first flight is expected in 2025.
2. Mitsubishi X2 –Japan
In order to retire its aging fleet fighter aircraft, the X2 prototype is officially announced on 29 January 2016 and made it first flight on 22nd April 2016. After the flight tests several onboard companies partner to complete this project which includes Lockheed Martin, BAE System, and Northrop Grumman.
3. KAI-FX – South Korea/ Indonesia
KAI-FX is the joint South Korea and Indonesia 5th generation fighter aircraft development program which is intended to develop most advanced multi-role aircraft for Republic of Korean and Indonesian Air Forces. The program is primarily headed by Korea holding 80% while Indonesia holds the remaining 20%.
This aircraft is expected to take first flight in 2023
4. TAI TF-X – Turkey
TF-X is expected to be twin-engine, all-weather stealth, air superiority fighter for Turkish Air Force.
For this project, BAE Systems will provide technical assistance and replaces F-16 fighter of the Turkish Air Force and also be available for export. The Turkish ministry of national defense has confirmed that the TF-X aircraft is going to be in service by 2025.
In October 2016, Rolls-Royce offered a joint production partnership to Turkey to power the country’s planned platforms. The offer involved potential sales to third parties and a production unit in Turkey to manufacture engines for the TF-X.
5. HAL AMCA – India
India is independently developing its own 5th generation twin engine super maneuverable multi role stealth fighter and called it as ‘Hal advanced medium combat aircraft’.
Feasibility study on AMCA and the preliminary design stage have been completed, and the project entered the detailed design phase in February 2019. A CAD model of the aircraft was shown at Aero India 2019. AMCA will reportedly be unveiled in 2024. A total of four prototypes are planned initially, and the first flight is expected in 2025 or 2026. Production is expected to begin in 2029.